Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Years!

In my job as a salon assistant, where I enjoy the opportunity to interact with many different people, my conversations with clients are often dictated by the seasons. As you might guess, my question of the moment is, “Did you make any New Year’s resolutions?”

Yes, that time of the year has come...New Years, the time to renew your image, reach new goals, and commit to bettering yourself; your resolutions.

Of the majority, most people I spoke to said they would not be making New Year’s resolutions.  Most said that it was too much of a hassle and the new behavior was only good for about a week or two.  Last year my boss commented that he hated going to the gym in January because all the New Year crazies were starting their temporary work out mindset...February was a much better time to go.

About how many people actually were faithful with the new found promise to achieve goals?  According to a quick Wikipedia (NYResolutions) search, out of the 52% who chose to attempt their new ambition, only 12% actually attained their aspirations.

I thought of the different goals and standards I set throughout the year (not just at New Years)...the biggest one being “I WILL have sex with my husband by his birthday”, “by our first anniversary”... “this will be the year”.  Each time, I have found myself disappointed.  How was it that even promises I made to myself and for myself, I couldn't keep.  You are probably asking why I am being such a downer on our ability to follow through.

Deut 7:9
Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commandments.

Daniel 9:4
I prayed to the LORD my God and confessed and said, "Alas, O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and lovingkindness for those who love Him and keep His commandments,

The Lord brought His people out of Egypt, He gave them their promised land, He promised the Messiah, Jesus Christ, His son, the man who was promised that he would not die till he saw Jesus as a baby; the Bible is full of examples of the Lord’s faithfulness and promises kept.

Proverbs 3:5,6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things  work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Philippians 4:6,7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Expect God to keep His promises in your life, and you will see a new type of New Year’s transformation.

1 comment:

  1. I really really really needed to read this verses today. These past few days have been 'downer days' in reference to dealing with VV. It lifts my spirits to be reminded of how the Lord will keep His promises to me. He will use this for the good. He is a God full of lovingkindness and understanding- and He will provide peace.

    ReplyDelete