Monday, November 29, 2010

True Beauty

I don’t know about you all, but sometimes I feel if someone just looks at me they know.  They know I can’t have sex, they see all my flaws.  I look in the mirror and I think, I have a few nice features but I have several that could use some fixing.  I think if they somehow managed to think I’m pretty but they knew I couldn’t have sex, well nobody would want me...not even my husband.  


My husband has assured me that is not how it is for him.  Seeing as he is still married to me, I guess that’s a pretty good indicator that it is true.  :)  


This is not a parable in the Bible, but it is a parable that I heard in a sermon once by Pastor Bossom at
Harvester PCA, in Springfield, VA 


There once was a place, where when a man proposed to a woman he would offer the father cows in accordance to her worth.  If the woman was beautiful, well-learned in the skill of keeping a home and cooking (feminism hasn’t made it to this land yet) and experience with the care of children she was worth the max of 10 cows.  A woman who was ugly, had no ability whatsoever was worth no cows but it was still customary  to bring atleast one if a man did propose.
In this land there was a girl, whom everyone was sure was not even worth the one cow.  She was ugly, a clutz and had no skill at all.  No one wanted her.  One day a man appeared at the door of her father and asked the father for the daughters hand.  Even the father was surprised that the man offered him the 10 cows.
Years later, a visitor came to the house of the man who had paid 10 cows for a wife.  The visitor was shocked when he entered the home, the home was beautiful, the children behaved and the meal excellent.  The wife was gorgeous and graceful.  The visitor was astounded more so when he became aware that this was the same woman that no one would have taken years earlier.

The truth is the man paid 10 cows for the woman, the max that could be paid.  Because he saw worth in her, she was able to see worth in herself.  She was able to grow into the woman that he had paid for her to be.

Jesus Christ came to a woman who was not very skilled, not very beautiful, and couldn’t have sex and he paid the max, He died on the cross, for her life.  How comforting is that thought!  When we had no worth, Christ  gave us worth and now we are invaluable.   

1 Samuel 16:7b   For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 


“We do not want to be beautiful so that we can gain the approval of man; we want to be beautiful so that we represent our King with quality and excellence.”  -- The King's Daughter; Becoming the Woman God Created You to Be -Diana Hagee


That’s the thought anyway we should want to be beautiful to represent our King.


1 Corinthians 6:19-20  Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.

What has God been teaching you?  I would love to hear feedback.  If you are not comfortable commenting here you can write me at Veronica.P.Coleman@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment