Monday, October 25, 2010

Introduction

My name is Raquel and I have been suffering from Vulvodynia for a little over a year.  Thankfully the Lord has blessed me with a very understanding husband.  Intercourse has been impossible for us and yet the Lord is faithful.  The reason I decided to write a blog was after a year of researching the condition I realized that there are very few support groups, most of which are discussion groups looking for a treatment (all very helpful), but not encouraging.  No one likes hearing how something didn't work.  My plan is to be open about what God is teaching me through this and to encourage.  As those of you who suffer from the condition know, we have up and down days and I apologize ahead of time if that comes out in my writing.

I've been discovering that there seems to be very little hope out there.  However, our hope is in the Lord.  Sometimes I have one of those bad weeks where I feel like somehow He's forgotten me.  He is gracious because He allows His word to speak to me, to us.  I hope this blog where everyone who reads it can be reminded about God's goodness and encouraged.

Romans 8:28
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

If the only good that comes out of my condition is that I encouraged one person, I  will be blessed.

Psalm 31:24
"Be strong and take heart,
       all you who hope in the LORD."

3 comments:

  1. Hi I have a vulvar pain condition called vestibulodynia. I have had this for 5 years (really I was born with it). I have been married to a wonderful husband for over 3 years. I have researched and tried many medications and treatments that did not work. So after a lot of research and sleepless nights looking a medical journal articles I found a doctor Irwin Goldstein in San Diego, CA. He diagnosed me with primary vestibulodynia. For me the treatment is a surgery called vestibulectomy with vaginal advancement.

    This surgery is my hope to be healed. I believe God has a plan for me and my husband to love each other. I became very depressed as a result of this condition and other health issues. I am finding help with that with medication. My surgery is scheduled Nov 2.

    I know everyone has such a long and frustrating path going through doctors and treatments that don't work. My gyno said I looked so healthy I was textbook case of healthy vagina. He said he knew women who have pain for years and then for no reason it goes away sometimes. He thought I had deep psychological issues or something that would be treated with counseling. I just started crying right there in his office because I really wanted to hear that I had an infection or something that can be treated. That was about a year ago. I did do counseling which I am glad because it showed I did not have a physcological scar that resulted in this pain. It is totally out of my control and trying force yourself to feel different just doesn't help.

    I had given up on God for a long time, but now I am rejoicing in his love and just feeling the body of christians praying for me.

    Take Care,
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for your surgery. I still have not been officially diagnosed. Both doctors I've seen have told me it was in my head. I did the research online and vulvodynia was the closest thing to my symptoms. I need to get up the courage to see another doctor, my last visit was extremely traumatic. My plan is to to call sometime within the next 2 weeks...hopefully...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Raquel, A normal gynecologist is too busy to to deal with vulvodynia is what I think.

    A really good website to read is sexualmed.org.
    It is a website about sexual medicine and you can read other patients testimonies of being treated by Dr. Goldstein.

    ReplyDelete