Friday, July 22, 2011

The Funk

Part of the reason it has taken so long to write aside from morning sickness and overwhelming exhaustion, is the fear that somehow my view on our condition would matter less now that I am pregnant.  Maybe this fear is stupid, maybe its not.  Either way, I shouldn’t have assumed.  

I have missed writing, I've missed being able to share my difficulties, and I've missed hoping something good will come out of them.

These last couple of months have been filled with doctor appointments and weddings.  I am not sure about any of you, but every time I go to a wedding, I am reminded of my wedding night...and the failure.  With that memory, I find myself heading into “the funk”.  You know, its that place where reason leaves, your brain is blurry, and there is always that one rain cloud that follows you around and you can’t seem to get away.

My next step in “the funk” for me have been all the doctors appointments.  Apparently unbeknownst to me, OBGYN’s expect you to see almost every doctor in the clinic, since you won’t know which doctor is on call the night you deliver.  It insures that you have probably shook hands with the doctor who will be guiding you through labor.  This seems completely reasonable until you realize that once a month you will be explaining to a new doctor that you still have vaginismus and could they go slow.  

My last appointment was a doozy.  The doctor seemed to think that giving me instructions on what I could and could not eat would be enough of a distraction to get me through my pap smear.  Few doctors realize it is an involuntary muscle spasm, they think its control by fear.  I think the involuntary muscle spasm controls the fear, not the other way around.  Either way my muscles tried to refuse the exam and shut down on the alligator tool...thankfully they were already on their way out anyway.  My body has been spasming since.

Job lost his children, he lost is livestock aka his job, and then he lost his health.  All the while he didn’t curse God.  Hearing his story, I found it perfectly reasonable for his to be in a funk.  That is until God reminded him and me how powerful He is and who He is.  Do we really have the right to question the One who created all things?  Can we really think that He doesn’t know what we are going through?  

“So take me as you find me, all my fears and failures, fill my life again!...
Savior, He can move the mountains my God is mighty to save!  He is mighty to save!”

11 comments:

  1. I have missed reading your posts! I am glad to hear your pregnancy is going well -but I want to reiterate that your condition of Vaginimus is still JUST has important of an issue if not more of one! You and your husband need a healthy marriage-sex is part of a healthy marriage- and with a child in the mix is makes your vaginismus more of an issue. Sex is way more then procreating--its a necessary intimate connection between a man and a wife that God designed! I am currently in New York receiving treatment for my Vaginismus. I have completed week one- and have one more week to go. If there is anyway you can do this program I encourage you too--the doctors are amazing! Feel free to contact me/email me if you want more information.

    And I totally get what you mean about getting in 'the funk'. I got in some MAJOR funks to the point where I deactivated facebook for awhile because I was so sick of wedding and honeymoon pictures.

    You are not alone my friend- God has a bigger purpose for you in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it too. I look at couples in our church and feel angry and resentful toward THEM, of all things. Just because they have something my W and I can't enjoy. That's just spite, and I try not to stay in it long. Other people have suffered far worse things in their lives, and I have plenty of blessings to count. I try to focus on good things as much as I can.

    But that can be a trap of sorts as well, because in distracting myself with other things I neglect to pray for intimacy in our marriage. I catch myself with an attitude of having given up. That's not where God wants me to be, either.

    I'm glad He promises to be our strength when we're weak, because there is no way I could follow Christ by my own efforts.

    --David D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachel,
    Hope your pregnancy is exciting and happy. I feel for you because I too have suffered endlessly with vulvodynia. I've never been pregnant, but weddings and other couples being pregnant makes us hurt on the inside. I just wanted to share that after my vestibulectomy, which was totally successful I believe I too had to have a pap smear. My doctor was new so it hurt! She didn't know anything about the surgery and I explained it to her. I have been avoiding pap smears because my doctor told me if you have three in three years you only need one every other year. Anyways I'm sorry this is so long. Thank you for your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog always create some informational and amazing things, which add in my knowledge and experience.But I am a bit confuse. Thanks for sharing.Waiting for next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should say only that its awesome! The blog is informational and always produce amazing things.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog has been added to my own favorities. Great post with lots of information. Thanks for this article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great blog you have here,this is very very informational web,realy i enjoy this...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a better-quality article as they all are. I am waiting to read even more about this topic. I make fun of been wonder wide this an eye to some beat now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree with your view.and that has provided me a lot of worthwhile information.i am waiting for more updates on that....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog always create some informational and amazing things, which add in my knowledge

    and experience.But I am a bit confuse. Thanks for sharing.Waiting for next post....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am one of the visitors of your site. I hope you will show more such material or data to put in our use.

    ReplyDelete